- In a big marinating bowl, put the washed chicken.
- Add yogurt, salt, ginger-garlic-green chilly paste. chopped tomatoes.
- Add turmeric, coriander-cumin powder, garam masala powder.
- Add the fried. golden brown onions.
- Stir this entire mix very well.
- Heat ghee in a very small vessel. When hot, add the coriander seeds & kashmiri red chilly powder.
- When the seeds start to splutter, pour the contents into the marinade & stir well so that everything blends well into each other.
- Cover this chicken marinade bowl with a proper lid or cling wrap the bowl & place it in the fridge for about 5-6 hours or overnight.
- Now, take a cooking vessel, pour the cooking oil into it. When well heated, put in the bay leaves.
- Add the marinade into the vessel & stir well.
- After stirring it a couple of times, cover the vessel with an appropriately sized lid to keep the steam trapped into the vessel as the chicken cooks slowly on simmer.
- Keep stirring the chicken ever-so often. You will find the yogurt and tomatoes releasing their water and the chicken will cook in their juices.
- Marinated chicken does not take too long to cook. In about 50 minutes of frequent stirring, you will find that the yogurt & tomato juices have thickened & the gravy is thick, almost dry & a wonderful dark red in colour.
- To check if the chicken is cooked, take a piece in the stirring spoon & cut it with a fork. If the chicken cuts in easily, it is cooked well & ready to serve.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
Serve the bhuna sookha chicken with hot rotis or kadak pav