Chicken tikka masala is a two step process, Tikka and Gravy. Grilling the chicken definetely flavors this dish but if you do not have a grill, you could use any oven too. Once you have your chicken grilling, you could start the gravy process in parallel.
- Cut chicken into smaller pieces. Drain any water.
- Mix all ingredients for the marinade and add chicken into it. Set aside for at least 1 hour
- Grill chicken on hot grill (barbecue) to golden brown. Baste butter (or oil) frequently to ensure that chicken remains tender and moist. Do not overcook.
- Heat oil and add ginger, garlic paste. Fry a little and add chopped onions.
- Keep heat on high to slightly caramelize the onions. Caramelizing onions enhances its flavors for this dish.
- When onions turn golden, add chopped tomatoes and keep frying on medium heat until the oil separates.
- Add cumin and coriander powder. Mix
- Add salt and sugar and drop the chicken tikka pieces in it.
- Let it simmer for 5 minutes on low heat and let the flavors mingle a little.
- Increase heat to high and incorporate milk slowly. Stirring continously.
- Once the gravy is of right consistency, reduce heat to low. Prepare any garnish
- Serve with white rice.