- Boil the potatoes with their skin.
Meanwhile, chop the spring onions into short length and cook in the milk.
- When done strain the onions from the milk. Preserve the milk.
When the potatoes are soft, drain them.
- Return the potatoes back to the pan over low heat to dry them.
- Peel and mash the potatoes, adding the hot milk used for cooking the onions.
- Heat half the butter. Add finely chopped green chillies and cooked onions to it. Saute for 5 minutes.
- Add the grated cheese cubes and the mashed potatoes to it. Mix well.
- Cook for another 5 minutes. Season generously with salt and pepper.
Finally put the remaining butter to melt on top. Serve hot with soup.
Pile on 4 individual plate. Make a well in the centre of each serving and put a piece of butter in it to melt into a golden pool. Eat from the outside, dipping the potato into the melted butter.